Royalty-free food stock photo of one fig cookie (fig newton, fig bar, fig roll) on a white background.
Joshua Josephson of the Kennedy Biscuit Company founded the Fig Newton in 1891 and was named after a nearby town, Newton, Massachusetts. At first, it was just called the Newton, but the name was changed to Fig Newton in 1898.
In 1898, the Kennedy Biscuit Company merged with other bakeries and formed the National Biscuit Company that later became Nabisco, which was based in Charlottesville, VA until it was bought out by Kraft Foods, Inc. and then was relocated to Illinois. [0003-0709-2718-2750] by 0003